The Benefits of Hydration
Mid-summer also known as the hottest part of the year, serves as a perfect opportunity to remind people about the benefits of staying hydrated! Roughly half of your total body weight is water weight (60% to be exact). Cells, tissues and organs in your body need water to function correctly. Water has numerous functions including regulation of body temperature, protection of the spinal cord, lubrication of joints, proper muscle function, and waste removal.
Your body loses water through sweating, breathing, going to the bathroom, and digestion. Your body loses water even faster when the weather is hotter, which is why staying hydrated is key!
Symptoms of dehydration:
- Dry mouth or extreme thirst
- Darker urine then usual
- Sleepiness or fatigue
- Headache, dizziness, or lightheadedness
- Inability to sleep
- Loss of appetite
Although the amount of water everyone needs to stay hydrated is different because everyone’s body is different, a general rule of thumb is to consume 2 liters of water or fluid per day. That averages out to about 8 cups. Try to drink these cups throughout the day to keep rehydrating your body. The more you exercise the more water you need to keep your body at its optimal functional level.
What other food and drinks can I consume to stay hydrated?
- Fruit and vegetable juices (be sure to check the sugar content!)
- Sports drinks (consume only if you are exercising at high intensities or for longer than an hour)
- Sports drinks contain carbohydrates that can prevent low blood sugar and can replace electrolytes
- Motive Pure- similar to a sports drink EXCEPT without the additional sugar, artificial flavoring and color, AND only 4 calories!
- Serves to rehydrate and replace lost electrolytes that enable proper muscle function when exercising
- Motive Pure is available at the FX Studios Fitness Center front desk!
Tips for Staying hydrated:
- Keep a bottle of water (or other hydrating liquid) with you at all times during the day
- Drink water prior to exercising and throughout the entire duration of your exercise
- Start and end your day with a glass as water, as well as drinking a glass before meals
Remember hydration is vital for optimal body function! Now you are ready to lie on the beach and enjoy this beautiful summer…with your bottle of water of course J
Questions or comments? Please email, leave a message below, or come find me at FX!